Author Topic: Happy Thanksfishing (11/23)  (Read 2409 times)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Happy Thanksfishing (11/23)
« on: November 25, 2022, 08:30:29 AM »
Made a quick meat run looking to get a bunch of Rock Cod after hearing the plans they have to keep extending the closures by a month each year for the next couple of years. 

I was startled heading out of the bay when I heard a bunch of loud "Blow" noises right behind me!  Friggand pod of dolphin!

I planned on multi-rigging to get it done quickly and switch to some really deep dropping for something new, but the rockfishing was S-L-O-W....

I get out to my deep rockfish spot and could barely see a pixel.  I had the ganglion not even getting nibbled, but I also dropped down the 8oz SPRO bucktail with a whole squid.  That one gets hammered, but the meat on a hook doesn't.  Turned out to be a sweet Copper!

I moved to a few deeper water spots with limited success, so start hitting different depths on the way into the shallow reefs.  I then see a boat cruising in the distance right at me which isn't new, but then get a text come through!  Scott found me!  lol

He had his boys out and said he was going to get some Reds for dinner, but didn't disclose where he was going.  I was a little jealous since I was already fishing for hours with very little success.  Ride on Scott, we'll tally at the end of the day!

Well, the inshore was MUCH better than the offshore.  Bites were hard still, but the quality of the inshore stuff was terrific! I should have stopped to take pics of the browns and sculpin, but they were probably around 16".   I got it done and gave Scott the news and found out all they could find were 4 whitefish.  They said it was totally dead where they were so really weird to see it being so tough for rockfish.

Anyway, got back by noon and started to prep for Thanksgiving.

I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving!
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
Re: Happy Thanksfishing (11/23)
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2022, 05:30:42 PM »
Good eats! Funny how the deep water didn't bite but inshore did. I'd buddy boat inshore with you but you're just gonna attract all the white sharks to us. I think I'm do for a rockfish run or two in December.

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2022, 04:40:38 AM »
With all the BFT, YFT, mahi, yellowtail and wahoo I get twice a year, I prefer the taste of rockfish over all of them. 
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

Tim524

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2022, 09:02:54 PM »
Nice variety, water looks nice, I guess the start will be different next season.

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2022, 07:00:33 AM »
Nice variety, water looks nice, I guess the start will be different next season.

You need to get the boat out before Rockfish season closes!  Hell, get some hoop nets and look for Lobster!  ;D
You can't catch them from your computer chair.