Author Topic: Winding Down the Florida Trip- Part 5  (Read 463 times)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Winding Down the Florida Trip- Part 5
« on: November 26, 2023, 08:54:00 AM »
With only a few opportunities remaining in the trip, I did what I could to maximize my time by the water,

In the morning, I went to target big bluegills and tried to avoid the cats.  I started working an area I saw some surface and it was a pretty instantaneous bite.  Only issue was walking in the slippery mud at the water's edge while wearing flip flops was not exactly the wisest thing in hindsight.  As I was sliding up a big gill, I slipped and knocked one off that without a doubt would have been my personal best.  I kept fishing, and did manage another nicer one (around 11") but I needed to clean up a bit.

After cleaning up and breakfast with the family, I took my daughter for a spin around the retirement community.  We got honked at and chased by an old man on his cart from an illegal golf cart turn.  Even though no one was around, he saw me int the distance and decided to chase me and honk to let me know he saw me make a U-Turn.  After flashing him the bird and laughing, he finally gave up the chase.

As we were rolling by my hot little fishing spot, she yelled "Big Gator!" Son of a gun was hiding  right where I've been fishing all week.  He must have slipped in that day because all week I haven't seen one in this particular retention pond.

I walked down and scared him out of there to "Not" the delight of my daughter who wanted nothing to do with it.

Undeterred later on before dinner, I went down for a quick session and It didn't disappoint.  My biggest of the trip! (and the first time all week the sun peaked through)

I caught 4 more smaller cookie cutters after this, but what a fun quick 30 minutes that was!

I went back for an early dinner (since that what old folks do) and noticed there was still light when I was done so ran back down with my Mom in tow to catch a few last cats of the trip.

She was even amazed as she watched the cats slam lures and even the CORK!  More quality cats!

I caught one that I thought was a Wels since it looked like an eel, but it apparently was just another Channel.

Tomorrow is the last day, so time to make the most of it.  I was heading to the continental for a last chance at a bass.  I mean, when in Florida, you have to catch a bass, right?

Saturday morning arrived and I packed what I had and drove to the Continental. 

I tried a new area and within the first cast, caught a bass, but lost him trying to pull it out of the muck.

I would see one jump, cast at it and get hooked up instantly!  These weren't big guys, but really blackwater fish!

I'm pretty sure I went 3 for 7 since the wimpy telescoping rod didn't quite do a good job pulling them through the thick cover.

It was pretty unnerving since right on the other side of the trees, there were gunshots blaring constantly.  It must be the duck opener from the amount of shells being blasted.  Saw a couple of cormorants land and die in out pond as the hicks were shooting at anything that moved out there.  There were 3 dead floaters in this retention pond that look liked gators from afar.

Well, I was just chasing wakes on the water after that and had t run home to pack as we were leaving for the airport at noon. 

Mission accomplished and I fished a lot for a trip that was not going to be a "Fishing Trip".  LOL

The ride and flight home was nowhere near as good as the flight in, but it was a fun and memorable family trip.  Thanks for following me on my journey and sorry it took all week to write up, but Thanksgiving and work really had it in for me this week.

Cheers!

You can't catch them from your computer chair.

Tim524

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
Re: Winding Down the Florida Trip- Part 5
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2023, 06:31:43 PM »
 Gators and old Geezers on Golf Carts, you have to be cautious in that neighborhood :o ;D Looks like you had a fun trip, welcome back 8)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2023, 05:40:17 AM »

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2023, 07:29:48 AM »
I'm surprised you didn't catch any exotics!
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2023, 09:57:16 AM »
I'm surprised you didn't catch any exotics!

Me too!