Author Topic: Legal Halibut And Mixed Bag AM Report 6/4/16  (Read 1776 times)

HalibutJoel99

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
Legal Halibut And Mixed Bag AM Report 6/4/16
« on: June 04, 2016, 10:33:29 AM »
Real quick, headed out yesterday at 3AM and felt like fishing. Surf was up and salad was present. Managed one Calico and the surf was just to much. Conditions were drizzle, fog and some salad.

This morning Conditions the same, except for one major thing. Compared to yesterday it was huge. Last night super high tide must have been just the right flow to take a lot of sand off the beach. What was walkable yesterday turned into dangerous conditions this morning. Fishing low tides that is. So much sand gone, it was unbelievable. One thing I noticed though from fishing now compared to Tunacrab invasion? No more Tunacrabs, stingrays are back, and I hate to say it, it's sorta of a love hate relationship. If the Stingers are around then the fish are around. Lots of stingys and lots of splashing going on. I guess the fish are just as excited as Iam for the next Grunion run.

Arrived 3:30 AM New hooks, fresh retie and thoughts of the flat kind. The wind hasn't been a factor so that's been nice. Lots of salad though, and a surf picking up quick. Light drizzle again. Big time fog, heavy fog. Even with the light I was cautious.

First spot no fish and a surge to knock you over. 15 minutes and done.
Second spot, I retie, and head back out. I'm seeing baitfish, I'm seeing Corbina. I'm seeing leopard sharks. After fishing about 15 minutes with a incoming tide, I get a stoppage, hmmmm doesn't feel like kelp. Set the hook and it was fish on. At first I could tell it was a decent fish, a couple nice runs and the rod was bent. Then she just swam in with me for a bit, which was nice. waves crashing and the new hooks saved me today. I had her by one treble only and one single hook. Im glad I keep the hooks sharp.

Fun battle though, very fun. Here's the Legal pics.

Tough to get a closed mouth shot but she was 22.

Lucky today and was very happy. New hooks work well. =)

When I took the hook out, it bent the hook. New lure time. No gonna risk even bending it back and doing it again.

Next spot, a lot better. Armed with the Luckycraft FM 110 I went to work. The surge was pulling south strong, but it was fishable. Casting over the breaks was doable. After a 10 minutes I get a nice hit.

Calico

Quick pic and headed out and got another Small Sandie. Then I got something I haven't in awhile. A YFC on the Hardbait.

These fish are hungry and its a good sign. All bites in the dark and can't wait for the rest of the week. Fish are biting and its gonna be prime time. Thanks for reading my story and good luck out there!

Joel 8)

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
Re: Legal Halibut And Mixed Bag AM Report 6/4/16
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2016, 12:50:24 PM »
Hitting them hard lately.

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2016, 12:57:29 PM »
Killing it!
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

xjchad

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2016, 05:38:13 PM »
Dang Joel! Lucy Craft should sponsor you!!

Sharkinthedark II

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2016, 06:50:49 PM »
Always hooking up 8) 8) 8) 8)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2016, 01:12:25 AM »
Damn Joel!  Hitting the surf hard and getting rewarded big time!

Congrats Boss!   8)
You can't catch them from your computer chair.