Author Topic: Maybe I Got Spoiled 8/1  (Read 1222 times)

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
Maybe I Got Spoiled 8/1
« on: August 01, 2023, 12:32:09 PM »
0600 launch. Went trolling around for bass today. Went with two rods so I could AB test different lures and see what the fish would hone in on.

Super nice weather out the gate.

Had a tiny LC on one rod and 5" BH on another. Got a short hit on the BH and nothing on the tiny LC so moved up to an LCFM 130. Got a dink to break the skunk.

A lot slower than I would have expected. Tbh with 2 rods I'd expect it to easily be a 20+ fish day, but I was barely getting short bit.

Second fish had been rummaging the rocks, interesting scarring all over.

A short while later I got slammed. Rod in holder a little too long, grabbed it and tried to turn its head, couldn't. Broke off. Leader frayed to high hell.

Was switching out lures quite a bit trying to find a color or action they preferred, but I couldn't develop a pattern. It was 1 fish per lure for the first 5 fish. 3 hours of trying, maybe 10 bites total, 5 sandies and a calico. Got back to the dock at 10am. This time last year I would have been happy with that but after averaging in the double digits through the spring I feel like I'm whiffing hard. Really need to address and replace my fish finder. I didn't need it for a while, but now it's clear the fish's pattern has changed and I need to really scan some water and see where they went and what they're doing.

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
Re: Maybe I Got Spoiled 8/1
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2023, 12:41:43 PM »
Any idea what broke you off?  You're right about conditions, the ocean was smooth early this morning.
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2023, 12:44:05 PM »
Mystery Break offs are the worst...

Now you are setting expectations high, so it's always a struggle! lol
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2023, 03:31:23 PM »
I’m guessing big sand bass. Acted like a bass. Maybe a potential PB for me but I’m not too sad about it but certainly taking note for future procedure. Trolling two rods while making contact with hard bottom the whole time is risky business.

Tim524

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2023, 08:36:47 PM »
 I lost 2 big Lings last week, one ruined 25 Lb. Flouro like it was nothing :o