Author Topic: Still Paying Dues 7/6  (Read 1417 times)

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
Still Paying Dues 7/6
« on: July 06, 2023, 09:12:00 PM »
0600 launch.

Got multiple recommendations to fish around the LB break wall for threshers. Had a very specific recommendation from a local tackle shop conversation so I went there.

Peak low 0640. Slack tide is good I hear! Arrived at my AO right about then. I remember why I don't like to fish the break wall, overwhelming smell of diesel and bird sh!t. Set out a dead butterfly mac on a float, started a light chum slick from my bag of bait from last trip. Trying to keep a chunk of sardine in the water every 10-30 yards. Put out a 2nd rod out an hour in. Ran out of chum, gave it another 30 minutes. Saw some smelt in the slick but nothing else. No signs of target for 2 hours of effort.

Bailed, started stone hopping going south looking to save the skunk on whatever bites a fluke. Took a few spots, but found a real quick flurry of a red, turd, and calico in about a minute.

Couple hours effort for bass netted 6 sandies, 4 calicos, 1 red. All 8-14".

Threshers are giving me a migraine but I'll give it a short break and try a couple more times next week. Turns out Chris stole my luck today with a gorgeous T down the coast, maybe he'll drop the pic here.

Cool shot of the sun sorta coming out, half color half BnW photo...

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Re: Still Paying Dues 7/6
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2023, 06:25:47 AM »
You are waaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyy overdue Jeremy!  It's all a matter of when opportunity meets preparation at this point.  I feel like I'm still paying dues all year long!

Nice Red and Calico Turd Bass!
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

Tim524

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2023, 08:18:11 AM »
Union Dues are on the rise, apparently the Dues to the Fish Gods are too ;D Nice little variety, hope the T decides to cooperate soon, keep at it  :)

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2023, 06:02:32 AM »
You are waaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyy overdue Jeremy!

X2
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

Chris

• Leopard
  • Put me in coach!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2023, 04:59:08 PM »
You’ll get one. I like a dead Mack on flyline and one under a float 150ft back or so and 12ft down. “Bump troll” or “power drift” an area if the drift sucks. Kick the motor in gear for 20-30 seconds then float for 2-3 minutes. Can’t tell you how many times I’ve been hit in the first few seconds of the bump.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2023, 11:04:56 PM by Chris »
Keep it tight

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2023, 11:29:35 AM »
You’ll get one. I like a dead Mack on flyline and one under a float 150ft back or so and 12ft down. “Bump troll” or “power drift” an area if the drift sucks. Kick the motor in gear for 20-30 seconds then float for 2-3 minutes. Can’t tell you how many times I’ve been hit in the first few seconds of the bump.

Juicy tidbit…thanks. I’m gonna hit it Wednesday and or Thursday.

KogaHead

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2023, 11:29:50 AM »
Gotta get offshore for the threshers.

https://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/threads/marlin-lures-sevenstrand-lot.602245/

Second lure from the right is a shark catching machine.

Caught 5 Threshers in one year on it.
2024 Prehistoric Soul Football Champion
(Tom & Jeremy Suck!)

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2023, 04:37:21 PM »
Gotta get offshore for the threshers.

https://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/threads/marlin-lures-sevenstrand-lot.602245/

Second lure from the right is a shark catching machine.

Caught 5 Threshers in one year on it.

Really, a slant head for threshers? I know the Bait O Matics get bit so I guess that makes sense. Did you rig it like a standard trolling skirt with a single 7691, two singles, trebles? Any bait under the skirt?

I do get the sense Newport Canyon would have some big girls hanging out that I would love to target eventually, but I feel like I’m on the cusp of the break wall bite with the shmedium Ts.