Author Topic: Grumpy Hog Surf Calico AM Report 8/1/16 In NC  (Read 1618 times)

HalibutJoel99

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
Grumpy Hog Surf Calico AM Report 8/1/16 In NC
« on: August 01, 2016, 05:23:04 PM »
Headed out at zero dark thirty this morning, and when I say dark, it was pitch dark! Arrived to the AO to see salad everywhere. I wasn't going to let that stop me though! Not to much wind but the surf was crashing a little hard at times. Soon as I get to the spot I saw a pair of sunglasses mixed with kelp. Gucci I believe. With the headlamp on I started looking around a little bit. Then I see another pair of sunglasses, and another and another. LOL I saw at least ten of them scattered all around. Then I saw a set of dentures and couldn't help but laugh, at the same time I kinda felt bad for whoever lost them. The super high tides must be throwing tons of stuff around! Glasses were all scratched, but there was Ray Bans, all kinds. Hotel keys. Even saw a watch that was still working. Lobster shells everywhere too. Anyways on to the report.

Conditions shot at first light. Only fished the dark though.

Started chucking the FM 115 MR Anchovy. Conditions are looking better all around.  I could see baitfish darting around. Water was super warm and tons of Stingrays everywhere. Each cast I had to time over the breaking waves to get the lure into the zone. Not to long in a feel a nice slam! Headshakes and some nice drag pulls. This fish put up a tough fight in the surf and it wasn't easy.  Thought it was a Halibut at first. Wasn't disappointed to see this nice 20 inch Calico thrashing around.

Calico Pics

Switched to the LC 110 and the tide was rising quick. Surf was picking up and tossing even more salad around. Got two more Calicos, both shorts. And soon after first light had to get going to work.

Put the Big Calico back to fight another day.

Couple short Calico pics

This one was snagged and missed the lure. They were hungry though! This one kept following the lure and tapping it. Finally it struck the lure hard enough to snag.

Things are looking better. Just hope some of these weeds go away sooner than later! Thanks for reading and be safe out there.

Lines tight!
Joel

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
Re: Grumpy Hog Surf Calico AM Report 8/1/16 In NC
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2016, 10:45:03 PM »
Solid surf checkers!!! Did you Pick any of sunglasses uP
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

faster u fool

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2016, 07:50:12 AM »
nice
GET OUT AND GET BIT..

mdcesq

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2016, 03:00:49 PM »

:o  Nice catches!

Funny, finding all those sunglasses, etc., ha, ha.