Author Topic: Sunset Mission Bay Magic Hour 1/23/16  (Read 1662 times)

WheresMyBeer

• Soupfin
  • Maui no ka oi !
    • View Profile
Sunset Mission Bay Magic Hour 1/23/16
« on: January 23, 2016, 07:22:22 PM »
Did my daddy chores today - baseball tournament and cleaned the garage - so decided to treat myself to a little evening bass run. I can't remember the last time I hit sunset targeting bass specifically since the long rods always seem to be packed.
But conditions looked just right. I used to really like fishing the transition just before a front come through as the bass go on the chew. Tonight did not disappoint.
Armed with only a 3/4oz lead head and black widow swim bait, got to the water around 5. Wind was howling inland, but the evening glassed off at the bay super nice.

The tide was moving fast and the big surge out front was also evident. You'd be standing on a hump of dry sand then suddenly the water would swarm almost ankle deep. Lots or current and swirls.

Made about 5 fan casts before getting my first solid hit. It's been a long time since I caught a spotty so I had a stupid grin on my face. SOLID ... maybe 14".

Kicked it back in and worked the same rhythm. Few minutes later had another good thump. This was a pig. 16"+  Haven't caught a spotty this big in a few years. I know I know - it's a guesstimate ... but it spanned about two "Shaka" signs so close enough

The bite wasn't 'wide open' ...but pretty steady. Maybe a short bite or hooked fish about every 10 casts or so. Definitely active fish!

small guy -

This was another one over 12" and one of 3 that flopped off the hook before the portrait. Fortunately this one fell into a tide hole that just filled in and couldn't escape. Tide moved out and beached him perfect for the photo :-)

There is a fish here. I promise. You just have to look closely.  :D

Final guy of the night. (flash turned on this time)

The bite slowed and felt my patience wearing as my retrieve became faster and faster.  ;D Figured that was the time to roll. Caught 8 fish - missed another half dozen or so short bites.

Fun sunset hour though. Home by 6:30 and poured a glass of THIS !

:D :D 8) 8)

Fun changing things up a bit. Glad the fish cooperated.

Tight Lines guys!

Dave
WMB

Eric H

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
Re: Sunset Mission Bay Magic Hour 1/23/16
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2016, 08:04:26 PM »
Nice going 8)

Can't say the same for the crown royal :P ;D

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2016, 04:49:39 PM »
Well done on the bass AND Crown!
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

Tim524

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2016, 05:29:25 PM »
Nice way to ease the pain of bass thumb 8)

faster u fool

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2016, 10:04:22 AM »
love it 8) sick sand pound sesh..
GET OUT AND GET BIT..